Bespoke deadweight force standard machines
We have the capability to design and manufacture bespoke deadweight force standard machines, over a wide range of force capacities. NPL scientists work in a large range of metrology applications, and have designed 2.5 kN, 20 kN, and 120 kN deadweight force machines, which now form part of the UK’s national force standards.
Design and manufacture
NPL has a specialist, fully equipped design office and engineering workshop with craftsmen and technicians skilled in mechanical engineering. Facilities include milling, turning, EDM die sinking, wire eroding, grinding, and metal lapping. NPL manufactured its own 2.5 kN, 20 kN, and 120 kN machines.
NPL also installed and commissioned a force standards calibration laboratory for an overseas national measurement institute. This included 5 kN and 60 kN deadweight force standard machines, and 600 kN and 3 MN hydraulic amplification force standard machines linked to the 60 kN deadweight machine.
Advantages of working with us:
- Professional staff with years of expertise in all areas of force measurement
- Direct traceability to the UK’s standards for mass, length, and time
- Knowledge of the application of precision engineering principles on a large scale
- Well-equipped design office and engineering workshop
- Years of experience in the design and manufacture of deadweight force standard machines
- Excellent international reputation in the force measurement area
Don’t see what you are looking for? Our diverse skill set enables us to provide bespoke solutions. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.